Thursday, August 14, 2008

Links

Just a few links of some game-related things

First, via rockpapershotgun a story about an 18-hour boss fight from my former addiction, Final Fantasy XI. This is an online game for the PC, PS2, and xbox 360 in which you explore the world of Vana'diel and lose a lot of time.

I remember enjoying it very much when I first got into it and spent many days doing nothing but playing it, but after a while, I couldn't take the endless grind and dependency on other people in order to progress and got out. But wow. I didn't know players hardcore enough to keep at a fight for 18hrs were still playing the game...whether or not having an 18 hour fight in a game is even a good thing is a whole other topic and there are loads of comments on both rockpapershotgun and the source article discussing it.

I think that a huge epic boss fight can really add something to people who are willing to 'invest' in the challenge, but it doesn't have to be a continuous non-stop grind battle. But wow, 18 hours...that's just wrong unless the boss was attacking the entire server, now that would just be awesome and you could contribute your quota to the fight and leave after an hour.


There's a very interesting article on Gamasutra about the art of braid created by the awesome David Hellman.


Cactus also put up a video showcasing some of the work that he is currently working on. All of it looks awesome and the music is pretty nice.


Via kotaku. Capcom has released screenshots of the bosses in Mega man 9 and they are all looking awesome! Yet another game that I am trying to figure out how to get on either my PS3 or Xbox360. This I definitely need.

No comments: