Tuesday, July 1, 2008

MGS4 - Update: Before the End




Okay, so I am what I think is the final chapter of Metal Gear Solid 4, and I thought I should put down some of my thoughts.

The game is very well made, and the craft and artistry that went into the development of this game are nothing short of astonishing. The attention to detail and the whole experience of it are really awesome.

Now, this is where I am supposed to go into the parts of the game I don't like. The truth is, I doubt I can say anything that has not already been said in loads of places all over the internet since its launch. The dialogue is awkward, the cutscenes are long, the gameplay can be a bit rough at times (and I mean that in that there is no smooth flow of game mechanics being introduced and so on, like I read somewhere, the gameplay is almost based on the scene you are in at any particular time), and most of the boss fights are pretty dull tbh, even though the cinematic flair of them cannot be denied.

But, all that been said, I really, really like the game. I do not think I could really rate it anything. It is defintely one for the fans of the series, and I don't think that there's anything wrong with that.

Most of my stand out moments from the game are from the cut scenes which I think is a bit sad. BUT, the stand out moment for me, is one of the last boss fights. Wow! It was so tense and just really, really cool. I don't want to give away any spoilers so I will wait until MGS4 saturates in the internet and everybody at least has a vague idea of the set pieces in it, but yeah. WOW. I liked that fight, and the one after that too was pure class as well if a bit on the easy side (and I am playing on the second-to-hardest setting you get at the beginning of the game, not sure what it is called now).

I am sure that finishing this game will embellish it forever in my gaming memory and I can add it to my gaming milestones, except this one will be the first time I ever got completely caught up in an HD experience complete with surround sound. Even Call of Duty 4 didn't do that for me, but maybe it's because it was a bit on the short side. I've also had a lot of fun playing through some of the sections with my girlfriend there and getting all tense on my behalf :-)

Well, will put up my final thoughts in a sort of review once I am done.

No comments: