Saturday, July 5, 2008

Electric Ghost

Just a quick note about my game-in-progress. First of all, I have changed the name from Phantom to Electric Ghost. This is of course still a working title at the moment. I am using Inform 7 to write the game, and I am having a blast.

I initially wrote the beginning of the game's scenario in my diary with some of the various alternate paths sketched out on paper. I then took this and set about constructing the first scenario in Inform. Despite the program's user-friendly syntax, I am still confused as to how to get certain things done. So, I am attempting to dig through the documentation in order to figure out what I am doing wrong and what I could do right.

It is also pretty interesting to see how things never turn out as one planned them. I have already changed about three major plot points just by starting to create the first scenario.

Will probably try and finish the first set of areas, then will see whether I can come up with some puzzles. I realised that my game was going to become a simple choose-your-own-adventure type deal, but I wasn't sure whether that would be enough.

The world I am creating is heavily dependent on mood and obfuscation and I think that having a more interactive environment in which the player can communicate with it will make it a lot stronger.

No comments: